Sunday, June 14, 2015

Introduction

     Project 3million is a Dividend Growth Portfolio run by a fellow named Chowder, for his son,
                and is a prodigious commentator on the  financial investment site Seeking Alfa,
                 and as such is a very vocal member of it's Cult of Dividend Growth Investors.

Anytime someone makes a comment threatening the legitimacy or soundness of DGI, Chowder has a penchant for issuing an investment challenge (using Project 3million) as a hurdle or litmus   test that he and his lemmings pretend must be passed by the heretic in order to have any merit to their arguments.

You see logic and facts don't matter. It's always a game of moving the goal posts.First the ruse is what's in your portfolio, then it's how long have you had it, then it's, well how long has your portfolio been  public?

Here's the context of the challenge:



  • triesnottobebroke
    Comments (194)| Send Message
    "That isn't varan's portfolio. It's another list"

    Unless I see brokerage statements, from you included, everything posted on seekingalpha is "another list". Nobody has any way to verify any of it.
    29 May, 12:38 PMReplyLike2

  • Chowder
    Contributor
    Comments (10045)| Send Message
    >>> Unless I see brokerage statements, from you included, everything posted on seekingalpha is "another list". <<<

    Tell you what dude! Bring yourself to SC and bring plenty of beer and I will provide those brokerage statements to you for the public portfolio I manage. If what I post is false, I'll hand you a check for $10 K. If I'm right, I'll donate your check for $10 K to charity, and Percy and I will drink all the beer you can carry.

    Let me me know if you are willing to accept this very friendly challenge. I love challenges, it brings out the best in people who have courage.
    30 May, 03:56 PMReplyLike9

  • DividendsUberAlles
    Comments (147)| Send Message
    <<Tell you what dude! Bring yourself to SC and bring plenty of beer and I will provide those brokerage statements>>

    No brokerage statements are needed but it would be nice to know if someone has actually bothered to calculate the returns of your Project 3 Million.

    Have they, and what are they?
    9 Jun, 05:51 PMReplyLike0

  • Chowder
    Contributor
    Comments (10045)| Send Message
    Why don't you take on that responsibility since you are the one that is curious? The portfolio has been up for several years, all the monthly updates are there. All the buys and sell decisions are there and announced ahead of time. All the prices are listed. Go back and match it up with whatever source you desire and then come back and tell me if the reports are accurate or not.

    All one has to do is follow along and verify. I don't hide a single thing, including losses taken several years ago. I still show them. Try getting that info from an ETF or mutual fund. They do their window dressing every quarter to hide things from you. ... You were invested in what??? ... They don't want you to know that. ... Ha!
    9 Jun, 06:05 PMReplyLike4

  • DividendsUberAlles
    Comments (147)| Send Message
    What reports are you talking about?

    If you have brokerage reports of each year's annual Individual rate of return I missed it.

    Where do you list your returns?

    Heck for all I care, even use the beardstown ladies method.
    I'm just trying to get a general idea of what can be done by an expert with a real DGI portfolio.

    No ulterior motives

    11 Jun, 01:55 PMReplyLike2

  • geekette
    Comments (1105)| Send Message
    uber ally, I think the point is that Chowder does not track returns, I do not think you will find reports. However, if you are interested in return, the info is there to be calculated.

    I let my brokerage tell me what overall return is while I know it is actually higher due to chronic div reinvestment. I track income vs sh price return.
    11 Jun, 04:17 PMReplyLike0




  • DividendsUberAlles
    Comments (147)| Send Mess 
    <<Chowder does not track returns>>

    Yet I've seen him boast and make challenges based on those "unknown" returns anyway.
    In what world does that make sense?
    Obviously if someone is not serious enough to track their own returns then you know challenges based on such returns are for all practical purposes "BOGUS" in nature.

    12 Jun, 03:39 PMReplyLike1

  • Chowder
    Contributor
    Comments (10045)| Send Message
    You want to track returns? You and me! Give me your best 5 or 10 selections going forward starting today and I'll give mine. We'll track it publicly for all to see.

    Who cares about back tests. Let's you and me pony up going forward. Let me know if you are up to this friendly invitation.
    12 Jun, 05:00 PMReplyLike13


  • Well I'm JoeCool (aka DividendsUberAlles) in that thread and I'm here to let  Chowder
                    know that the constant chest beating gets tiresome to those of us who know better:
    Yes I accept the challenge to track real returns in a real portfolio with snapshots from a real                           broker with time stamps. I certainly think I can beat your net returns over the long term.
     As a side note I don't have anything against dividend investing itself but including contributions in annual gains like chowder does and money put into your magic pants by the dividend fairy may be addressed later.



    1 comment:

    1. Chowder rules! Wish his Project $3 Million Blog was still running. Would love to continue the good reading! Hope all is well! Thanks for the time we had with the project 3 million blog.

      ReplyDelete