Sunday, June 28, 2015

6/28/15 TRACKING STARTS HERE  1st reporting of 2 combined accounts








IRA 5,413.69
roth 29,143.69
Starting Total Value  34,557.38

The recent closing of my blog stemmed from the hilarious exchange below made by Private Message with the chief bloviator & instigator of the challenge.
To date he's still running away from my simple , reasonable questions like a pansy.

Originally giving the pansy ample time to step up, was the reason for the closing , seeing that was never gonna happen, I used that time to change my format a bit. 
 Since I'm not asking my competitor to manage my funds for me the  " I don't have time with chump 
     change portfolio's." is completely ridiculous.
However  fearing a loss to my account's performance is a very real threat.
  It also reminded me of the problem that I'm sure I'd be accused of later: "You started with a throwaway account and took as much risk as you could".
1) I don't plan to lose money and I'm not out to risk losing money to beat chowder's portfolio or any 
      of the one's I'm going to be tracking.
2) I plan on doing this much longer than the usual trading challenge , so undue risk would greatly 
      increase the chances of blowing up, and that my friends I have no interest in doing.

 So I decided , along with my traditional IRA (already posted previously and at the top of the page) I'd add my Roth IRA too ( posted underneath the other with "roth" in the account name section.)
    Just like the other account I'm ineligible to contribute so additions & withdrawals are not expected.

This brings my starting account value within apx 20% of Project3millions starting value, hardly
   a non-adult sized portfolio unless chowder  thinks P3M started off as chump change as well.


FYI: You can see the time and date stamp the image was taken from my broker in the lower left
         corner of each image. I'll try to preserve that any time I take a snap shot to determine my 
          returns.

I plan to officially start tracking returns  EOD 6/30/15, which will make assessing returns easier.

   
     


  • June 17 at 4:16pm
    Your response to my query found on the thread "lessons learned from the grand canyon" is requested
  • ____________________________________________________________________________
  • June 17 at 10:19pm
    I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are referring to.
  • _______________________________________________________________________

    • June 17 at 10:21pm
      The questions posted here:
      seekingalpha.com/article/3205256-lessons...
    • ________________________________________________________________________
    •  which were:
      • At this point I only have 2 questions for you.
      1) If/when my portfolio returns beat yours, will you quit pretending everybody needs to have a public portfolio that beats your's as a prerequisite for making comments on Dividend Growth Investing?

      2) Define the conditions you think required, to reasonably admit your portfolio's performance has been bested.     
    • ___________________________________________________________________________
    •      
      • June 17 at 10:31pm
        I've moved on. I don't have time with chump change portfolio's. Get back to me when you have an adult-sized portfolio and we'll talk. Keep updating the portfolio though. I'm rooting for you you to get to a grown up sized portfolio. I'm hoping I can learn something from you.
    • _________________________________________________________________________
      • June 17 at 10:36pm
        This is a new change in criteria.

        How much is an "Adult size portfolio"?
    • ____________________________________________________________________

      • June 18 at 7:24am
        You posted your portfolio, you said you wanted to compete, so compete.

        Post your monthly results and I'll continue to post mine, with or without you keeping up.

        Let's try to be professional and keep the emotions to a minimum, eh? It's time to move on.
    • _____________________________________________________________________
      • June 18 at 8:14am
        I don't know about you but I'm not emotional at all.
        You've still not answered my question concerning your new criteria you have set.

        I'll ask again define "Adult size portfolio" in no uncertain terms.
    • ____________________________________________________________________________
      • June 18 at 11:24am
        As you said let's try to be professional.
        Previously you wrote:
        "Get back to me when you have an adult-sized portfolio and we'll talk."

        I'd like to politely ask you, in order for us to talk (like you said): I need to know what dollar amount , you consider an adult size portfolio? 
    • ________________________________________________________________________
    • Chowder the pussy that he is tried to pretend being out of town is why he couldn't answer the 
    •   questions. When he returned I posted another follow-up attempt this time on the open board.
    •  found here:
    • http://seekingalpha.com/article/3205256-lessons-learned-from-the-grand-canyon#comment-55254265
    • ________________________________________________________________

    • DividendsUberAlles
      Comments (160) | Send Message
       
      chowder Let it go! ...

      Good to see you back, perfect opportunity for you to answer my questions below*

      1) If/when my portfolio returns beat yours, will you quit pretending everybody needs to have a public portfolio that beats your's as a prerequisite for making comments on Dividend Growth Investing?

      2) Define the conditions you think required, to reasonably admit your portfolio's performance has been bested.

      *continued evasive behavior to answer in a straight forward manner is unbecoming.
    • ____________________________________________________________________________

    • Chowder
      , contributor
      Comments (10207) | Send Message
       
      I'm not going to answer your questions. I told you the time for talk was over. You accepted a challenge, now show me what you got. Are you going to tell us what you own or where your money is being invested right now?
      __________________________________________________________________________   

    17 comments:

    1. Funny how it only took 2 days for chowder to go from:
      " I can hardly wait." to: "I've moved on."

      I guess spending your latest dividends on extra large depends, will do that to you.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You whiners at seeking alfalfa complaining of not being able to see how I'm doing.
      Too stupid to compare net liquidating value one period to the next eh?
      5413.69/5382.81=1.0057
      1/2 percent gain first 2 weeks.

      ReplyDelete
    3. So I take it you are not a DGI proponent?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Absent the cult like behavior and demagoguery of some the DGI celebrities found at SA
        I'm okay with it.
        I do have problems with:
        1) the ubiquitous belief that dividends are free money.
        2) hindsight bias in studies
        3) Assuming Individual security selection is the superior route.

        Delete
    4. Hindsight bias in studies is present regardless of the subject of the studies, and can usually be (and usually is) used by both sides to an argument.

      you have a problem assuming that individual security selection is the superior route to where or what?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hindsight bias is not involved in all studies and DGI need to be especially vigilant in avoiding survivorship bias in their back tests or assumptions about the past.

        Individual security selection pits your stock picking and trading skills with the professionals, a better route might be choosing the diversification of an index.
        Besides Dividend Investing is only a subset of value investing and DGI is myopic in scope.

        Delete
      2. I agree that vigilance is necessary for most disciplines of investing, and the DGI guys are no different

        I ask again...a better route to what or where?

        Delete
    5. I ask again...a better route to what or where?

      Accumulation

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. So you contend that an individual investor might not be able to either pace or beat the market over time, and therefore the best option is to index it.

        What if an individual feels they might be able to pace or beat the market, based on their past experiences? What if an individual has a different goal set that makes pacing the market not as critical for them? Would you not agree that each individual should find, and pick the "route" best suited to their goals, needs, and tolerances? Is there a chance that what you think "might" be a better route for you, might not make perfect sense for every other investor?

        Delete
      2. Generally you stand a very poor chance of out performing the market or the appropriate index for your chosen asset allocation, goals, and risk.

        The best route is the optimal one , that fits for your goals needs and tolerances.
        Usually that is going to be a diversified low cost index fund or mixture of funds.
        Closet indexing can be done but is it worth the time.

        "What if an individual has a different goal set that makes pacing the market not as critical"
        That's irrelevant , you're still in competition with the performance of an index that reflects that same risk profile. If it can accumulate it,faster then it's superior.

        I got news for you , you can feel however special that you want to, but the reality is : there's a huge amount of people working in and around finance who make a very good living off of the slightly delusional who thinks he can beat the market because something makes him "special".
        Wake and smell the coffee you're not special, all you are likely doing is making somebody else rich.

        Delete
    6. I don't think I'm special by any measure, but after 20 years, I'm very comfortable in the market. But hey, why are we talking about how special I am not? You're the one who has the answer for every investor regardless of their goals, tolerances, or experience...must be very rewarding to always be right. Thanks for the news!

      If you feel indexes are the best solution, then by all means, use them, I do, but I also use individual stocks, commodities, real estate, and several other vehicles to cover my "route" to where I want to get. Point is, row your boat, those of us not in your boat will ask your advice when we feel we need it...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. 1) It's not that I'm claiming to always being right but you come here with the ridiculous DGI shtick of you have some unnamed " different goal set".
        I'm just telling you, if buying individual securities in a dgi portfolio to attain your goals, the probability is indexing can either get you there quicker or safer.

        2) Your measure of comfort has no bearing on the fact that you're pitting your stock picking and trading skills with the professionals: thus you should expect to perform according to a combination of idiosyncratic risk, asset allocation and luck.

        Delete
      2. I run no "schtick", nor do I rely solely on DGI, as I've said. The portion of my investments dedicated to DGI do have a different goal, than other areas, I would "name" it for you, but you aren't genuinely interested, you just crave something to insult. The level of my comfort in the market does have bearing, as I'm ok with looking past the "safety" of indexing.

        I'm thinking it likely that you have had a bad experience picking your own stocks, and because you see yourself as being so capable and smart, the only explanation for you not being able to pace the market that is acceptable to you is that it can't be done.

        Regardless, your need to continually make appearances within a group of people for no purpose other than to be derisive and insulting says a lot more about your character than any of your posts have ever said on investing. I hope you are eventually able to work through that. Have a nice day!

        Delete
    7. 1) Save the outrage of the cult of dgi, I've literally heard the DGI schtick about differing goals 100's of times.
      If you're indexing at least you are being reimbursed for the assumed risk,you can ramp that up or down. All individual securities do is increase your idiosyncratic risk, a risk you don't get paid for taking.

      2) I don't really care what you think happened in my personal experience.

      3) DGI without all the voodoo, and making a full time profession out of stock picking/ and generating the same returns anyway is fine.
      Use etf's, if you must dabble in individual securities my advice would be to sample the top 10% of the better dividend etf's out there. nobl should be an easy one to simulate yourself and always remember costs matter

      ReplyDelete
    8. No outrage here bud...I find your angry little rants (or schtick) entertaining, that's why I'm here...to see you rant the same responses over and over regardless of the content you are responding to. Appreciate your advice though, I will definitely keep it in mind.

      (maybe try using bullets, or even letters instead of enumerating each of your points in your next post...it's getting a little schtickish, and I know you don't want that)

      ReplyDelete
    9. That's okay, I don't know if you're one of them or not but I find the dividend fairy crowd entertaining as well.
      People who dabble in individual securities , in general are just wasting their time & effort: at best.
      They ignore the math and probability of under performing passive instruments. It's not the end of the world, they'll on average get average returns anyway.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I'm not an expert on the DG etf space but If you're looking for higher risk has a whole suite of leveraged products so that your portfolio doesn't have to use margin directly. Of course there are costs so make sure they are worth it compared to directly margining ( schd or nobl)

      http://etracs.ubs.com/product/list/index/strategy/leverage

      ReplyDelete